Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Getting Sentimental


The big guy is starting high school this year, tonight is his orientation.

When my son was a newborn I loved eating a certain egg and meatball dish. My brother-in-law would make this wonderful dish for me sometimes, and he christened it Alex's Meatballs in Egg Lemon Sauce in his honor. Every now and then I will make it for the family and we'll chuckle at how the dish got its name. Thank you brother-in-law for sharing your "secret" recipe.

Photo: http://kalofagas.ca/category/soup/


Alex's Meatballs in Egg Lemon Sauce 

  • 1 lb. lean ground beef
  • 2 teacups rice (1 cup), washed
  • onion
  • parsley
  • garlic
  • salt / pepper
  • dill
  • oregano
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • rice
  • 2 eggs, yolk and white separated
  • 2 lemons
Instructions: Mix first 9 ingredients and make into small meatballs. Bring 3 cups of water in a pot to a boil, then add meatballs with some olive oil and dill. Let simmer for an hour (add water as needed). While meatballs are cooking, in a separate bowl beat egg whites well, then add yolks and lemon juice. Slowly add some broth from pot to lemon sauce until meatballs are by themselves. Then pour the lemon sauce over the meatballs, shake around and spread the sauce evenly over the meatballs. Add juice of 2 lemons and dill to taste. Serve hot. YUM! Serves 6.




2 comments:

  1. Gouverlakia!!! I cant believe u made that! Bravo sou! I'm grilling chicken 2nite ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw your comment. I want you to know that in one week I made this recipe twice per request by the "big guy". We love this recipe in this household. And it's actually very easy... thank you Chef Nasos ;-).

    ReplyDelete